
Section of a road in Yei River County
(YEI RIVER COUNTY) – Three humanitarian workers who were abducted by unidentified armed men along the Yei-Lasu Road while conducting an Ebola prevention mission have been released after seven days in captivity.
The aid workers, attached to an international humanitarian organisation, were kidnapped on Tuesday last week while transporting Ebola Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) materials to Libogo, a border town in Lasu Payam near the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The victims, identified as a medical nurse and two drivers, were reportedly seized at around 11:00 a.m. in Balamuke Village as they travelled to support Ebola preparedness efforts in the area.
Lasu Payam is considered one of the most vulnerable locations in Yei River County due to its numerous porous border crossings with the Democratic Republic of Congo, raising concerns about the possible spread of Ebola from affected neighbouring regions.
Yei River County Relief and Rehabilitation Coordinator, Mabe Moses, confirmed that the three humanitarian workers were released unharmed on Monday and have since reunited with their families.
“Yes they have been released and they are safe and back with their families,” Mabe said.
Prior to their release, reports indicated that the kidnappers had demanded USD 5,000 for each abductee. However, Mabe said it remains unclear whether any ransom was paid to secure their freedom.
The incident highlights ongoing security concerns in Yei River County, which has witnessed recurring cases of abductions targeting humanitarian workers and travellers since the beginning of the year.
Local authorities and humanitarian organisations continue to call for improved security measures to ensure safe access for aid workers delivering critical services to vulnerable communities.
Discover more from Access Radio Yei News
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
