(MOROBO) – Pita Rejoice, a senior midwife working at Morobo Primary Health Care Centre, has been released safely after being abducted by unidentified gunmen on Friday along the Yei–Morobo highway in Central Equatoria State.
Her release took place yesterday evening, ending hours of anxiety for her colleagues and the wider Morobo community.
Rejoice had been travelling with patients in a humanitarian vehicle when she was taken. The attack raised significant alarm both locally and among humanitarian agencies, especially considering the vital role healthcare workers play in South Sudan’s fragile health system.
Authorities in Morobo County expressed their gratitude following her release, praising civil society groups, non-governmental organisations and community leaders who took part in calls for her freedom. The County Commissioner said coordinated pressure from stakeholders helped secure her release without reported harm.
“I want to thank all partners, civil society, and the humanitarian community for raising their voices and standing in solidarity during this difficult moment. The release of Rejoice is a gesture of goodwill, and it shows that peace can prevail in our region when communities and leaders unite for a just cause,” the Commissioner said in a public statement.
Local officials say Rejoice is currently in stable condition. Plans are in place for a full medical check up and psychosocial support before she returns to her work at the health centre. No details have been made public regarding the identity of the abductors or whether any negotiations took place.
Aid organisations have long warned that insecurity along the the Yei–Morobo route puts both workers and vulnerable civilians at risk.
Health services in the region are especially fragile, often operating with limited resources and under threats of conflict or criminal activity. According to previous reports, this is not the first time health personnel or humanitarian convoys have come under attack in Central Equatoria.
The return of Rejoice comes just months after a local chief was targeted in a similar kidnapping incident in the area. That case prompted wide spread condemnation from local leaders, residents and aid organisations. Several appeals for strengthened road patrols have already been made.
Humanitarian groups working in the region continue to press for unrestricted access and guaranteed protection for their staff. Many organisations report that insecurity not only endangers workers but delays essential services, including maternal care, vaccinations and emergency response.
Discover more from Access Radio Yei News
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
